(Anyone who has attended the CERT Basic Training is invited.)
The program at the October meeting was “Bleeding Control with Tourniquet Techniques”–Terran Berry, Caldwell County EMS
Class material is based on Hartford Consensus III, College of Surgeons, How to Stop preventable deaths by hemorrhage. “Everyone can save a life.” http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.traumacenters.org/resource/resmgr/News_documents_/TCCC_Jacobs_HCS_III_ACS_Bull.pdf
- Don’t raise legs of a hemorrhaging victim.
- When using pressure to stop bleeding, do not use your palm or whole hand. Use two fingers directly to the wound to stop bleeding which produces much stronger pressure.
- If a tourniquet is applied, do not release it. Leave it on until medical treatment is received.
- Terran demonstrated various types of tourniquets. His favorite is Soft-T wide.
- He also demonstrated other types of bandages including Oales pressure bandage, Hyfin Vent Chest Seal, and Russel Chest Seal.
November CERT Club meeting
Time: Thursday, November 17, 2016
6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Location: Caldwell County Health and Human Services Building, 2345, Morganton Blvd SW, Lenoir, NC. Enter at back of building in employee entrance.
The program will include a discussion of emergency water storage and treatment, club organization, including liability insurance and acquiring 501c3 status to allow for donations and fundraising. Please RSVP to CaldwellCountyCERT@gmail.com.